Carrie Thornton MA, LPC, NCC
Keywords: adults, trauma, sexual abuse, anxiety, depression, substance use, self-esteem, grief & loss, spirituality, life transitions, relationship issues, person centered, mindfulness-based, attachment, EMDR
Are you struggling? I want you to know that you are not alone. We all have painful experiences. They are part of the human condition. I believe it is how we respond to these difficulties that determines not only the extent of our suffering, but how we are able to transform our pain and loss into strength, power, and growth. The most impactful experience we can provide each other is to be fully present and listen to one another’s stories with open hearts and minds. Through transformative relationships and compassion for ourselves and others we find hope and effect change.
I am so grateful to be following my passion for helping others as a psychotherapist after pursuing a career in business for many years. I obtained my Master of Arts in Counseling, Clinical Mental Health from Regis University following my counseling internship with People House in the organization’s Affordable Counseling Program. I have mentored women in prison through the Center for Spirituality at Work’s Making Choices Program and have provided bereavement support to survivors who have lost their loved ones as a volunteer with Exempla Lutheran Hospice. I currently facilitate support groups for survivors of childhood sexual abuse with WINGS Foundation.
I am honored to work with clients from all walks of life and warmly welcome individuals of all races, cultural backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
I counsel adults from person centered, mindfulness-based, and attachment theoretical perspectives. I utilize various treatment modalities, including EMDR tailored to your specific needs.
What does this mean to you?
- I meet you where you’re at, and we formulate your goals for therapy together.
- I believe that that you are capable of growth and change at any point in your life.
- No matter how difficult your circumstances, you always have a choice in how you respond.
- Experiencing your core emotions is the essential to reaching an openhearted state in which you are calm, curious, connected, compassionate, confident, and courageous.
- We experience our emotions and hold our trauma in our bodies. Transformative healing is possible as we allow our bodies to process old wounds.
- Your mind, body, and spirit are equally important to your health.
- Practicing awareness and acceptance of your thoughts, feelings, and bodily sensations on purpose in the present moment is key to alleviating your suffering.
- All change and growth are born of acceptance and compassion.
I look forward to accompanying you on your journey of healing, growth and change!
Fee for 50 Minute Session – $130